Re: chkrootkit message

On Tue 24 Jun 2014 at 15:56:48 +0000, Curt wrote:

> >> I believe he's saying chrootkit is unlikely to find one.
> >>

> > That begs the question. Is it unlikely to find one because nobody tries
> > to implement a rootkit on Linux,
> > or is he saying that the software doesn't work and wouldn't find a
> > rootkit if there is one there?
> >

> Yes.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

Yes?

The existence of RipOff disease, a deadly contagion which is prevalent
in some part of our world, is easily investigated. Readers will draw
their own conclusions. Some may even describe its pathology and recount
how they recovered from it. Others may put their symptoms down to a bout
of False Positive fever.

The existence of MithRa's rootkit and Aquatica rootkit is also easily
investigated. Readers would present a description of these two rootkits,
what they do, how they do it and what the consequences of encountering
them are; preferably with sources quoted.

This isn't begging the question; it is rational thought. Software which
encourages searching for hairs on the palms of one's hands might raise
an eyebrow or two but, if it keeps people happy, who am I to argue?