Disturbing ICEWEASEL behavior

I'm using Iceweasel 24.6.0 with Wheezy: both religiously updated. The disturbing behavior is my preferred "top of the browser" toolbar is getting mysteriously, and without an apparent pattern, changed.

Preferred: http://alienjeff.net/browser1.png

Changed: http://alienjeff.net/browser2.png

Anyone else experience this problem? Is there a fix for it? Anything in "about:config" I can address?

I'd like the preferred toolbar to be persistent after setting it up.

TIA,

Jeff

--
hangout: ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net