Re: downgrading a virtualbox guest

Le 16.06.2014 20:54, Linux-Fan a écrit :
On 06/16/2014 03:42 PM, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Hello.

I made some virtual computers with my desktop computer, which runs a ( mostly ) Debian testing. Now, I have noticed that even with virtualbox's backports, the computer on which I want to finally use them ( I was too lazy to want to learn how to correctly create VMs from command-line ) is not able to do so ( in backports: 4.3.12-dfsg-2+deb7u3 and in testing:
4.3.12-dfsg-1 so I'm quite surprised by this problem. Maybe a wrong
diagnostic of mine, too...).

So, I tried to downgrade virtualbox, so that on my computer I could have the same version as on my target and create anew the VMs. Problem: the interface is completely unusable, it says that the max RAM amount is 0. Trying to create the VMs in command-line and then opening the interface,
still no luck.

Do anyone have any idea, or will I have to upgrade the distant computer to testing ( virtual box depends on a newer libc, so I'm not really fond
of it )?

Have you tried to move the configuration from the newer VirtualBox out of the way to get a clean startup? A more radical approach could include
the creation of a new user to try the downgraded version without
potential conflicts with a newer configuration.

HTH
Linux-Fan

Sorry, not noticed your reply sooner.
I have tried various things, end in the end started to create back the VM from:

1) console on the distant computer => there are so many options, and no correct file format that it is... just horrible. The file format VBox uses is XML, and an example on my computer is actually 8.5K large according to ls -lh. I really have to spend time to learn stuff like xen or qemu, seriously. I know that virtualbox is only a ( powerful ) toy, so it's not it's fault, but recently my needs are too much for it.

2) downgrade virtualbox on my desktop computer in order to use the gui to recreate the VMs, but then I was no longer able to create VMs, even with cleaned ~/.VirtualBox. The tool is just broken, probably because having it at wheezy version when the rest of the system runs a jessie, so I have not reported any bug ( since such messed system is not really a good idea, even for me which is used to such one ).

So the only solution I have found was to upgrade the distant computer, from Debian stable to Debian testing. It's a shame since it is a server, but since it is a non critical one, that Debian can really be trusted as my experience shown me, that I am used to testing and am able to repair systems in a real messy state ( because I have made such systems on my personal computers by experimentations and pebcaks hehe ) I think I should be able to keep it alive. I'll just have to learn the admin's tricks since I am only a programmer, and to read changelogs in aptitude to know if I really should do the upgrades. I guess I should qualify this of interesting experience to have ( usually, I only manage my own computers, so breaking things is potentially less problematic ).

Thanks anyway for your reply.