Mousewheel operation - successful update

Found the problem and it was not a config issue.
Used xev to view the button numbers and there was no action for left tilt.
Used some compressed air and a few taps on the desk with the mouse and
all is working again.  'Percussive maintenance' it think it's called.

For the last two days I've been trying to find some information on this problem: I used to be able to use the mousewheel left-right to page back and forward in history in Firefox. Unfortunately, I upgraded three things at one time: the usual
Debian updates, Firefox from 29 to 30 and Mate from 1.6 to 1.8, and now I'm
unable to find the location of the setting to make this work again. I'd appreciate
any suggestions on where to look to fix this.  I'm thinking Firefox but the
mousewheel parameters are a bit cryptic.

thanks,
tjm