Re: debconf bricked -- undefined variable $ARGV[0] and similar issues

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 13:55:37 -0400 (EDT), Tom H wrote:
>>
>> You might have better luck with "dpkg-reconfigure -fnoninteractive
>> -pcritical debconf".
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not work.  Here's what I got:
>
> -----
>
> root@smp6:~# dpkg-reconfigure -fnoninteractive -pcritical debconf
> /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: please specify a package to reconfigure
> Segmentation fault
> root@smp6:~#
>
> -----
>
> dpkg-reconfigure does not see the package as having "installed" status,
> since it has been unpacked, but not yet configured; therefore it cannot
> be reconfigured because it hasn't been configured in the first place.

I hadn't thought of the above (sorry) and was hoping that debconf was
simply having a problem with its default frontend...

I've just read the dpkg man page, looking for inspiration but I didn't
see anything of use.

If this were my system, I'd (in descending priority and after a full backup):

1) Install debconf with "dpkg".

2) Install an older version of debconf with "dpkg" and "--force-downgrade".

3) Install debconf by cd'ing to "/" and moving the debcond deb and
unpacking it with "ar" and "tar" or with "dpkg -x". I've forgotten the
name of the relevant executable, but I'd try to backup the debconf db
first, if possible.

I hope that you or someone else comes up with a better solution,
especially the radical #3.