Re: Can Iceweasel and Firefox co-exist on Wheezy.

On 06/14/2014 04:14 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Friday 13 June 2014 19:17:19 Go Linux wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 6/13/14, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Subject: Re: Can Iceweasel and Firefox co-exist on Wheezy. To:
>> debian-user@lists.debian.org Date: Friday, June 13, 2014, 9:01 AM
>>

>> https://beta.ovoenergy.com/login
>>
>> I can't login on this one.
>>
>> There are many sites on which I can't shop (can't put things in the
>>  basket). Here is an example of that:
>>
>> http://www.damart.co.uk/F-10068-thermal-tops/P-63701--pack-of-2-french-neck
>>  -vests

>> Have you tried in safe-mode?  Maybe an addon is the culprit.  This
>> is pretty standard diagnostic procedure.
>
> I haven't got any add-ons in Google Chrome.  And the problem exists
> there.

Then... how would it make any sense for this to be an Iceweasel problem?

> I'll try a different profile before I start removing my one add-on.
> Which I only recently added, and which hasn't made this problem any
> worse.  It is an on-going problem.  Not to mention the fact that
> Andrei was able to reproduce the second one.

If I understand the replies correctly, Andrei's "reproduce" of the
second one was the result of not realizing that in order to enable the
"add to basket" button on that site, you have to select a size first.
(As well as allowing the right scripts, if you're blocking any.)

With that realization, (s?)he reported that it worked fine in dwb (a
Webkit-based browser), though (s?)he didn't retest in Iceweasel since
I'd already done that.

> This is happening with more and more sites in the UK.  I was
> specifically told by one of them that they don't support earlier
> versions of Firefox.  Which is why I asked about installing a later
> version of Firefox, rather than trouble shooting.

Fair enough, but I'd still like to find an example of a site with the
problem which I can actually reproduce... if only because I'm likely to
be using "earlier" versions of Firefox (in the form of the ESR release)
for the foreseeable future, simply because I don't want to have to jump
through the hoops which a "did they break anything this time?"
new-major-version Firefox release requires every six weeks.

Speaking of which, if those sites don't support the ESR release of
Firefox, they're going to have trouble with a not insignificant part of
their potential customer base; they might want to reconsider that.

Good luck with newer Iceweasel, with a clean profile, and/or with
separate Firefox if you end up going that route. Please report back as
to whether any of them do fix anything; I'm particularly interested if
they don't.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.