Re: Weird hw/system time issue..

Rick Thomas wrote:
> I have no idea what you need to do to re-callibrate your /etc/localtime file.  Presumably "dpkg-reconfigure <some package>" but which package?

It is the tzdata package.

  dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

However...  If there are some escape clauses for the user to manually
configure things and then the postinst script avoids overwriting the
local admin configuration.  Browse the postinst script for details:

  less /var/lib/dpkg/info/tzdata.postinst

In your quoted message I see this following that I didn't see  to the
mailing list:

> On Jun 13, 2014, at 2:03 PM, LVDave wrote:
>
> > hmmm then that is really weird, as I put an "export TZ="PST8PDT"
> > in the /etc/profile and once the machine rebooted, the problem
> > disappeared. I do have ntp on the system but its not
> > running.. When I originally posted I had been running with
> > localtime on the hwclock/bios. but read that normally one sets UTC
> > in the hwclock, so I changed it.. Bob: I ran dpkg-reconfigure
> > tzdata, and it was already showing "America/Los_Angeles".. my
> > /etc/timezone also shows "America/Los_Angeles".. Also thanks for
> > the reading list.. I hope to learn something more about Linux
> > timekeeping..

There LVDave reports that he already ran "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" and
apparently it didn't resolve the problem for him.  At that point is
when I would go "Double Hmm..." because I don't know where things have
gone bad at that point.

Bob