Re: Can Iceweasel and Firefox co-exist on Wheezy.

On Friday, June 13, 2014 3:00:01 PM UTC+5:30, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> I am giving up in despair and I'm going to install Firefox. :-(  Just too many
> sites won't talk to me.  Do I need to uninstall Iceweasel first or can I have
> both?  TDE 3.5.13.2 on Wheezy 7.5.

I have been running this for the last couple of years without any (noticeable!)
problems.

What I say below is not a recommendation since I dont know the ins and
outs of it. OTOH it comes from http://techpatterns.com/forums/about1435.html
who evidently knows considerably more than many on running debian

Problem is if you uninstall iceweasel many other packages that
require/expect a ('sensible') browser will reinstall it and/or open
something (usually a help page?) in some more weird browser (konkeror?)

So its important to keep iceweasel installed (as far as apt) is concerned
And to never use it as far as you are concerned.

The way I do it, every time apt 'upgrades' iceweasel I run the
following script.

Assumes firefox (direct download) is in /opt/firefox

------------------
$ cat bin/firefox-afterUpgrade
# replace iceweasel by forefox
# should be run after an iceweasel upgrade
# from http://techpatterns.com/forums/about1435.html
# Assuming downloaded into /opt

# Only needs to be done once -- the first time

mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox-iw  ## just in case you still need iw
ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

The (small) downside I know is that you will see some diversion
warnings on upgrades that upgrade iw