A Regular Expression Question

I am trying to remove the & or ampersand sign from some perl
code I wrote as it is not necessary. I have no trouble finding
all the instances because they consist of an ampersand
immediately followed by a letter so &[a-z] describes the case
perfectly.
The replacement pattern should actually be the same as the
search pattern except that it is missing the & or ampersand.

	The scripts have loads of logical &'s and &&'s in them
so the regular expression seems to be the safest way to globally
replace &everything with just everything. In this case, a global
pattern that returned the search pattern missing it's first
letter would even work.

Thank you.

Martin McCormick