Re: MPD on localhost won't work if there's no Wifi!?

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 08:22:58 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
As far as I can tell mpc is low-level enough to not care about what
Network Manager advertises. I'm suspecting it does have something to do
with DNS, so I'd suggest you pick a name for your machine and make sure
you adjust your configs as follows (assuming your machine's name is
'mpdserver'):

/etc/hostname:
mpdserver

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1   localhost
127.0.1.1   mpdserver

(you can also use the lan IP here if it is fixed and enabling the IPv6
entries could also help)

mpd.conf:
bind_to_address     "localhost"

After making all these changes exactly as you have mentioned, I wouldn't see that error anymore. But because I'm curious, I decided to investigate what was the culprit, and I found that leaving bind_to_address as "localhost" and enabling the IPv6 entries in /etc/hosts was enough. Then I commented the entries again in /etc/hosts and immediately mpc stopped working.

If you make all these changes it's probably a good idea to reboot. If
mpc still can't connect please post the output of:

     getent hosts localhost
     getent hosts mpdserver # or whatever you named it
     netstat -plant | grep mpd

with and without Network Manager running.

The old getent output, from when it was not working:
$ getent hosts localhost
127.0.0.1       localhost

The old getent output, from when it was working:
$ getent hosts localhost
127.0.0.1       localhost
And sometimes:
::1             localhost

The new getent output:
$ getent hosts localhost
::1             localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

Always netstat has shown this:
$ netstat -plant | grep mpd
tcp     0     0 127.0.0.1:6600  0.0.0.0:*    LISTEN     4062/mpd
tcp6    0     0 ::1:6600        :::*         LISTEN     4062/mpd

Thanks really a lot to everyone for this!
Teresa and Junior