Re: Re: Preseeded setting on openssh-server ignored

A few points:

1. I have explicitly stated that I am automating new installations.
I don't understand what repeating that statement back to me means.
I have read README.Debian, and I don't see how it answers my question,
which is: *why* are you totally ignoring a user-made selection of
pre-exisitng debconf question, _irrespective_ of whether it's an upgrade
or a new installation? If some ignoramus sets a weak password and get's
exploited, because of a old default, I don't see why it should become my
problem or yours. The Debian maintainers can set whatever default they
chose to, as is their right, but why make a decision to ignore the
user's right to change that default from a pre-existing method? If you
are going to do so, then why haven't you stated that in the
root-forsaken README.Debian? I've seen uses of this selection for
enabling login with password from at least over a year ago, so I am not
hallucinating about this. /rant
Sorry for that.

2. Wouldn't the right way to make this change be either a) using a
select field instead of a boolean or b) treating true as "yes", *and*
respecting this selection (assuming debconf has a way of notifying if
no value is set), instead of ignoring it?

3. If I made a patch to implement 2a or 2b, and it is not crap, would
you accept it? Or is this a hard setting on the side of Debian
maintainers?

--
Murukesh Mohanan