Re: unable to mount removable media with xfce4 version 4.10.1

On Tue, 2014-06-10 at 03:14 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 02:56:53PM +0400, Reco wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 01:31:26PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > > Quote from the first link:
> > >
> > >     The udev built from the systemd source tree will stay compatible
> > >     with non-systemd init systems for a long time. This change is mostly
> > >     a detail of the build scheme, rather than a change of direction or
> > >     interfaces. Accordingly, the libudev API is untouched by these build
> > >     infrastructure changes. For us, compatibility is key.
> > >

> > Allow me to remind you this story:
>
> Which doesn't change the facts.

"The udev built from the systemd source tree will stay compatible with
non-systemd init systems for a long time."

Is there a definition "for a long time"?

On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 18:01 +0400, Reco wrote:
> But that's not the point. The point of this story is - udev and
> systemd share one upstream, every change made in udev is made because
> systemd upstream wants udev to behave systemd special way.
>
> To make myself clear I'd like to add that I have nothing against
> systemd.

I'm using systemd for my everyday Linux since years, it's Arch and not
Debian. Systemd still could be a PITA and I'm not talking about the
force fsck I mentioned at Debian OT, before I unsubscribed from Debian
OT. Systemd has got many drawbacks, the systemd fans enforce the
reduction of choice. Currently a bug report at Arch was closed without a
fix, now I'm talking about the forced fsck. Soon or later you will
experience this and other issues for Debian too. The systemd upstream
makes the rules.

Udev for good reasons was merged years ago with systemd. I did not
spread FUD, it's a fact that udev is merged with udev. So what's your
point Chris? We still could use udev without systemd? Yes, I didn't
claim anything else, but it still is merged by upstream.