Re: PulseAudio (was Re: Sid Foibles)

Rusi Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> JFTR: I try to stay with xfce if possible.
> But parole was not working and I had to install totem.
> This brought in a lot of gnome stuff -- including PA.
> And the next I knew, sound had stopped working.
>
> Started working when I removed PA.
>
> [I may have got some details wrong... this is my memory of it]

Why not use vlc as media player? It doesn't pull in loads of
desktop-specific dependencies, and it's flexible in letting choose which
output backends to use for audio and video. If one backend doesn't
works, there will surely be an alternitive on that does. There's even an
ascii art backend for video ;-).