Re: Preseeded setting on openssh-server ignored

On Sat 07 Jun 2014 at 23:08:47 +0530, Murukesh Mohanan wrote:

> I'm trying to use preseeding to automate installation, and
> openssh-server is ignoring a selection
>     openssh-server openssh-server/permit-root-login bool true
> The sshd_config always contains
>     PermitRootLogin without-password

This is what you get with a new install of 1:6.6p1-1. It is the
default. If is not to your liking you have to alter it afterwards.

> I gather that this is due to the fix of bug #298138. While the
> OP's, and the patch submitter's rationale behind changing
> PermitRootLogin to without-password is ok, doing so by totally
> ignoring the debconf selection if not upgrading is *not*. If I
> wish to automate new installs, with a reasonably secure root
> password, unlike OP, I fail to see why my preseed debconf
> selection should not work. It is, after all, an explicit user

Yours is a new install.

> choice. There are plenty of such selections where the user is
> not asked a question at all and the default selection is used,
> so I fail to see why this question is being ignored (or not
> asked, as maybe the case). I have no problems with the default
> value being 'without-password'. But is ignoring the debconf
> selection altogether the new intended behaviour, or has the
> set of valid values for this selection changed?
>
> The bug has been archived, so I'm posting to the general list
> instead of to the bug itself. I have tested this out on jessie
> and Ubuntu 14.04.

You only see this question if openssh-server is being upgraded to
1:6.6p1-1. README.Debian has details of the change.