Re: Should I install chkrootkit?

Ahoj,

Dňa Wed, 4 Jun 2014 04:38:45 -0700 (PDT) Horatio Leragon
<hleragon@yahoo.com> napísal:

> I am shocked to learn that Debian is vulnerable to rootkits. That's
> why there's a package to check for them.

Yes, there are bad boys on this world, which attempt to compromise
foreign computers. In some countries it a normal government practice.

> I switched to Debian from Microsoft Windows OS because of the massive
> over-hype that I read on the internet: that Debian is impervious to
> malware and no viruses have ever infected a *nix OS.

No, the Unix based systems have they own malware, see above.

> Should I install this package called "chkrootkit"?

No, you don't need to install it, but without it (or some alternative)
you will never know if some rootkit is in it. To be more complicated,
with this (some of these) package properly installed and used you cannot
be sure too :)

I am not aware about chkrootkit, i am using rkhunter and it is not
intended to install and run on the desktop (specifically on testing),
where are changes too often, because it will reports them.

> But then it itself is vulnerable to errors in its code :(

There is not a software on this world, which has no errors. The
question is not, if there are errors in code, but if:

+ the errors are hidden from users by code unavailability
+ the discovered (known) errors are fixed and how long it takes

Have a nice day

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk