Re: Crypt data "on the fly"

On Mon, 2014-06-02 at 19:24 -0700, ty wrote:
> On 06/02/2014 09:32 AM, L.M.J wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   This may be a nasty/bad idea, but I still ask :
> >   I sync my data to a cloud storage online service. I do NOT want to
> crypt my 60GB data at home, but I want
> >   them crypted on the cloud, so, when I rsync the data, I would like
> to send encrypted files on the fly.
> >   I want to have encrypted files, not rsync a 60GB encrypted partition.
> >
> >   Any ideas ?
> >
> >  Thanks
> >

> Perhaps duplicity? Needs a gpg key to encrypt the backup
> man duplicity - " duplicity - Encrypted incremental backup to local or
> remote storage."
>
> Something like..
> duplicity --encrypt-key KEY-ID /source/dir rsync://uid@other.host/some_dir
>
> Creates a full backup the first time, then all subsequent ones are
> incremental changes.

Sometime ago I wrote a perl script as a learning exercise that also
returned something useful to me - I'm still using it for my backup
needs. I called it dupit, because it's just a minimal front end to
duplicity. It's purpose is to create duplicity "profiles", aka a bunch
of strings that are arguments to duplicity, to be run by a cron job that
is configured on the setup fase of the profile.

To setup a profile, just run $ dupit -s $profilename. You will be asked
for the arguments for duplicity on sensible, verbose, terms.

Then "dupit -b $profilename" to backup and "dupit -l $profilename" to
list settings. "$dupit -h" or "$man help" for a longer description of
its capabilities and limitations compared to duplicity.

More info:

https://gitorious.org/dupit

PS: There you also will find a link for similar software.

--
André N. Batista
GNUPG/PGP KEY: 6722CF80