Re: Remove unwanted, orphaned files and dependencies

On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 12:08:13 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Du, 01 iun 14, 15:36:37, Joe wrote:
> >
> > Not wishing to add confusion, but you may also find references to
> > 'dpkg'. This is the low-level package tool that all the apt tools
> > are front-ends for. It does no dependency checking,
>
> Maybe you didn't mean it this way, but dpkg does indeed do dependency
> checking. When provided with a bunch of .deb files to install it will
> take care of proper ordering when needed (Depends:, Pre-Depends:,
> etc.) and will refuse to install packages without satisfied
> dependencies unless --force switches are used.
>
> I think it's more accurate to say dpkg only handles files (be it .deb
> archives or files originating from .deb archives). It has no
> knowledge of archives, repositories, etc.

Yes, what I should have written was 'doesn't automatically resolve all
dependencies', as the apt tools (mostly) do.

> > and will do exactly
> > what you tell it to do, so it is somewhat dangerous to use. It can
> > do things the apt tools cannot, however, (the man page is quite
> > large) so you may occasionally need to resort to using it,
> > *carefully*.
>
> The apt tools are useless without dpkg, however, dpkg will happily
> install .deb files downloaded by any other means.

Yes, I use that if I need to downgrade, as the old package can be
difficult to find in the repositories. But I have occasionally used it
to clear a logjam that the apt tools won't shift.

--
Joe