Re: cryptsetup problem

Andrew McGlashan writes:
> Yes, maybe so, but these are brand new 4TB drives that haven't had any
> other data on them before (factory fresh).  I've done badblock testing
> on them as a first step after removing them from their new packaging
> and so far, they haven't seen any data other than encrypted data

And therefor it will be easy for an adversary to tell which blocks have
data on them and which have yet to be used.  Write the entire disk over
with random data before starting to use it and an adversary will have to
try to decrypt every block without knowing whether it's something you
encrypted or just random numbers.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com