Re: package recommendation for daily journal

On 06/01/2014 09:52 AM, lina wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a package, which can act as a smart diary or journal to
help me remember the records of small things, such as "obtain a licensed
software, not installed yet", "uninstall the harden-client".

Thanks ahead, lina

In my case I needed something really cross platform: working properly in all kinds of Operating Systems as well as something that would be constantly synchronized between many different machines.

I couldn't use web services because of privacy issues and because sometimes I have to work on PCs that are not online. The answer is a USB stick that I always carry with me and that I backup regularly when at home.

For the software part:
After experimenting for a few weeks with some "PIM-on-a-stick" stuff like GTDTiddlyWiki or WOAS: Wiki on a Stick [1-4] I decided that I need something simpler.

I now use a banch of files: mainly .xls, .doc and .txt. The main file is an .xls file with many sheets: calendar, todo and some project-specific notes and to-do lists. The Microsoft file formats (xls and doc) are necessary as in most cases I am not authorized to install the appropriate plugins in order for MS Office to be able to open the Open Document [5] formats (.odt and .ods).

Maybe something like this would work for you too...

Links:

[1] http://stickwiki.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://woas.iragan.com
[3] http://www.tiddlywiki.com/