Re: squashfs(: mountable tar.gz) sort option

On 05/28/2014 01:23 PM, Wim Bertels wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> u can think of squasfs as a mountable tar.gz (more info on the website
> below)
>
> has anyone got experience with the sort option in mksquashfs?
>
> on http://squashfs.sourceforge.net/
> in the presentation the sort option is way to optimize compression,
> but i didn't find any examples or explainations on how to do that.

Check man mksquashfs and search for "-sort". It seems to be a file which
specifies an order in which files are to be processed to take advantage
of similarities in files with similar priority (7z for instance groups
filenames by extension to be able to better compress redundant parts of
similarily-structured files like HTML)

> For now i've used:
>
> $ ionice -c 3 nice -n 19 mksquashfs dir_to_archive/ archive.squashfs
> -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -Xdict-size 75% -always-use-fragments -b 1024
>
> Suggestions to further optimize the compression?

Try -Xdict-size 1M -no-xattrs -no-recovery

although as far as I can tell, you have a pretty optimized commandline
already. I am sure that my suggestion will not save much in practise.
The results of using -sort with a suitable file depends on how exactly
your files are distributed. I would be interested in the outcome if you
found a means of generating a useful "SORT_FILE".

HTH
Linux-Fan

--
http://masysma.ohost.de/