Re: fastest linux distro

On Wed, 28 May 2014 14:24:32 -0700
tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> wrote:

> debian over ubuntu hands down for speed and for efficient resources
> utilization. it's a harder install, but for me well worth the extra
> work.

Also, Debian is more configurable with Vim, doesn't require you to
install a GUI, and has less whacko dependencies (Plymouth, anyone?).
With Debian, if you want to boot to CLI and run startx, by George,
you're free to do that.

When I have an extremely RAM starved computer, I put Debian on it every
time. CLI Network install works with almost no RAM, and granular
choices of things to install guarantees I'll have a small system.

The one problem I've had with Debian is on new notebook computers
(UEFI, GPF, Secure Boot etc) on which I want to keep the original
Windows and dual-boot. With Ubuntu, it's almost impossible to screw
this up. With Debian, I've screwed it up twice.

SteveT