Re: exim4 fetchmail delivery more than 10 rejected

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 09:47:09PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a common problem (I remember hitting it myself, once upon a time!)
> > The Debian Exim FAQ recommends changing fetchmail's behaviour, rather than
> > Exim's:
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/PkgExim4UserFAQ#Exim_stops_delivery_after_ten_messages_are_received
>
> Thanks, and yeah I read that before posting and was sort of amazed at
> the way the burden of getting around what is a quite an unpopular
> default in exim4 was to shift it to fetchmail. hehe... pretty slick.
>
> I saw how to use the fetchmail trick right off but felt like, `hey wait
> a minute..' I'm ready this to find a way to make a more sensible
> setting for my situation in exim4.
>
> That section tells you the setting can be altered but never says how
> in any detail, instead slipping right into the fetchmail crutch.
[...]

So I read about this and was wondering why I don't have this problem since
I've been using exim and fetchmail for years and years. My memory at this
point is fuzzy, but I think I may have encountered the situation where mail
was getting queued and one way or another, possibly using fetchmailconf,
stumbled upon throwing a batchlimit 10 on each poll line. The result is
that fetchmail deliberately ends (and reestablishes, if necessary) the SMTP
connection every 10 messages.

Yes, it's another fetchmail-based workaround, but I figured it was worth
mentioning in this thread for the benefit of anyone else who might stumble
upon it in the future. It might even make sense to put it into that FAQ on
the wiki; I'd argue it's a better solution than postconnect since it
doesn't require the fetchmail user to be in the Debian-exim group, and
doesn't require giving up on exim by going straight through procmail.

--Greg