[REPOST] Re: Re: Wish to ALMOST clone a logical partition

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Lu, 26 mai 14, 08:51:54, Richard Owlett wrote:

I had found "somewhere" a description of installing Grub2 to its own
partition - I've mislaid the link.

The general sequence was:
   1. Do a fairly typical install of Squeeze(6.0.5) to primary partition sda1
      allowing installer to place grub on MBR.
   2. Create a small primary partition (sda2) dedicated to grub.
      (all test installs and swap on logical partitions)
   3. Do grub-install /dev/sda2
   4. Edit grub.cfg residing on sda2 to have menu appear as desired.
   5. For each test configuration:
        install to a logical partition without installing grub or lilo
        reboot into install on sda1
        run update-grub
        copy and edit appropriate section under os-prober to the grub.cfg on
sda2

On my laptop I always have at least two Debian installations, stable and
sid. The grub in MBR always belongs to stable. sid's grub is installed
in the first sector of the corresponding partition (using
'dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc', so that updates will retain the setting).

The sid install is "chain-loaded" via following /etc/grub.d/40_custom

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "Debian Sid (unstable)" {
    configfile (hd0,msdos2)/boot/grub/grub.cfg
    #set root="(hd0,msdos2)"
    #chainload +1
}

As you can see, the actual chain-loading is disabled at the moment,
since stable's grub can boot sid with it's config (this way I don't need
to worry about kernel updates in sid), but as sid's grub might diverge
from stable it might be necessary to activate it.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Interesting.
I'll have to reread documentation/howto's on chainloading.
My initial reading had only confused me.
I'll experiment with it in my next series of experiments. I can see advantages.

The only problem might be figuring out how to preseed "sid's grub is
installed in the first sector of the corresponding partition (using
'dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc', so that updates will retain the setting)."

Thanks for the idea.