Re: repeatable dpkg-buildpackage

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-05-26 at 18:58 +0400, Reco wrote:
>>
>> fakeroot
>
> ... regarding to some claims on this list is a PITA, at least when
> building a kernel. I run my scripts to build kernel-rts as root.

Why is it a PitA? Because you're philosophically opposed to it? Or
because it has failed to build a kernel or created a "bad" kernel?

Are you building a kernel or a kernel package?

If you're building a kernel, you only root privs for the 'make
modules_install" and "make install" steps.

If you're building a package using "make deb-pkg", pass
"KBUILD_PKG_ROOTCMD=fakeroot" for fakeroot to be used when needed.

If you're building a package using "dpkg-buildpackage", fakeroot is
used when needed.

You can also use "KBUILD_PKG_ROOTCMD=sudo" or "dpkg-buildpackage
-rsudo" for sudo to be used rather than fakeroot but I've never tried
either.