Re: KDE locks up periodically

On Thursday, May 22, 2014 05:45:26 PM Gary Dale wrote:

> I'm running Debian/Jessie on an AMD64 system. The problem I'm having is

> that every several minutes or so, KDE lock ups.

> It doesn't totally freeze but applications might get slow or even stop

> responding entirely for a minute or two. Dolphin is particularly bad. It

> seems to lock up the longest. However even a game like kreversi doesn't

> respond for a period. The mouse responds, as does keyboard input in

> konsole, but sometimes even Kicker (or whatever they're calling the

> launch bar these days) stops responding.

> Iceweasel and Icedove also stop responding when the system all but locks.

> I've checked Top and Iotop but nothing seems to be causing excessive

> disk or cpu activity. Even virtuoso, which has been implicated in some

> slowdowns, seems to be behaving itself. Killing it doesn't help.

> I've been working in Gnome for the last half hour without incident, so

> It's probably not a hardware or network issue. However, I prefer KDE and

> would like to get back to it.

> Any ideas?

I don't have any idea what is causing this, but I have KDE setup with six virtual desktops. When an application freezes (Opera or Dolphin, usually), switching desktops and returning generally fixes it. It doesn't happen nearly as often as you describe, however, maybe a few times a day.

-Chris

Christopher Judd, Ph. D.

Research Scientist III

Wadsworth Center, NYS Dept. of Health