Re: Re: Rar for debian wheezy

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 10:22 PM, Hudson Flavio Meneses Lacerda
<hfmlacerda@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> i some how installed a rar binary which is working in my old system now i
>>> can not back track how i installed it.i want that to install in my Debian
>>> wheezy desktop as i am receving many rar files. and unrar is not good enough
>>> for me.
>>
>> Wheezy has an 'unrar' package in non-free. If you've added non-free to
>> your sources.list, you should be able to install it just fine.
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> That rar program is not free software. You will be better using UNAR
> instead to uncompressing .rar files, and compressing your files in
> better formats like TAR.GZ, BZ2, ZIP, 7ZIP.

I'm aware that rar/unrar aren't free, but wasn't aware of unar until
this thread.

I don't actually make rar files, though, only extract those made by
others. It's not the best format, but I've used all manner of
different unarchivers in the past (arj and arc come to mind!).

ChrisA