Re: FSF condemns partnership between Mozilla and Adobe to support Digital Restrictions Management

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 9:30 PM, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
> On 5/19/2014 8:17 AM, Richard Hector wrote:

>>> I don't know the terms of the license, but it is perfectly valid for a
>>> company to put a time or other limit in a license.  Your client may or
>>> may not have been entitled to continue to use it.
>>>
>>> But if the client were able to legally use it, I would think the current
>>> copyright owner would be obliged to provide an alternate activation
>>> mechanism.  Getting them to do it may be difficult, though.

SCO Xenix?

Current copyright owner?

May be difficult?

For your reading pleasure, Jerry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_Group

And you may be interested in this product of the rabble which you
think opposes you:

http://www.groklaw.net/

>> And in the case where the copyright has elapsed? The main point, rather
>> than my additional comment?
>>
>> Richard
>>

> Are you saying the only copy in the whole world is protected by DRM?  I
> highly doubt that...  And if it is, that would mean it was created since DRM
> went into effect.

Hmm. Are anti-copying provisions that pre-date the DMCA not considered
by you and your lawyer to be DRM?

>  Which means the copyright won't expire for 75 years or
> more.  By that time, anything computer-related will be so obsolete it will
> only be of interest to paleontologists.  And other works (i.e. music,
> literature) will have been available in other media.  In fact, in the United
> States, to copyright something you have to provide a copy of the material to
> the Copyright Office.  So there is always at least one copy of something
> available.
>
> But can you show where that is occurring now?  If not, I think you're
> looking for a problem which doesn't exist.

Did you read what Richard said?

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.