Re: FSF condemns partnership between Mozilla and Adobe to support Digital Restrictions Management

On 20/05/14 00:30, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 5/19/2014 8:17 AM, Richard Hector wrote:

>>> No, I don't agree.  I have seen no indication of a problem at this time.
>>>   As for the original copyright holder - no matter what, someone owns
>>> the
>>> copyright.  If the owner dies, it becomes part of the estate.  If the
>>> owner goes out of business, copyright transfer is a part of the
>>> liquidation process.  And even if the owner vanishes, he/she still owns
>>> the copyright.
>>>
>>> Also, just because something is copyrighted doesn't mean it has to be
>>> made available for use by others.  The owner is well within his/her
>>> rights to say "I'm the only one who can use this".

>>> I don't know the terms of the license, but it is perfectly valid for a
>>> company to put a time or other limit in a license.  Your client may or
>>> may not have been entitled to continue to use it.
>>>
>>> But if the client were able to legally use it, I would think the current
>>> copyright owner would be obliged to provide an alternate activation
>>> mechanism.  Getting them to do it may be difficult, though.
>>
>> And in the case where the copyright has elapsed? The main point, rather
>> than my additional comment?
>>
>> Richard
>>

> Are you saying the only copy in the whole world is protected by DRM?  I
> highly doubt that...  And if it is, that would mean it was created since
> DRM went into effect.  Which means the copyright won't expire for 75
> years or more.  By that time, anything computer-related will be so
> obsolete it will only be of interest to paleontologists.  And other
> works (i.e. music, literature) will have been available in other media.
>  In fact, in the United States, to copyright something you have to
> provide a copy of the material to the Copyright Office.  So there is
> always at least one copy of something available.
>
> But can you show where that is occurring now?  If not, I think you're
> looking for a problem which doesn't exist.

Now we're going in circles. Of course I can't show where it's happening
now - that's what I asked you to do, rhetorically, several messages ago:

I'm predicting a problem that will happen when the copyright of a DRM'd
work elapses, and that work has never been released without DRM. How
will I (or some future person; copyright terms have got so ridiculous
it's unlikely to be me) get the access I'm entitled to?

Richard