GPT and SSDs

I'm trying to solve a problem where my computer locks up every few minutes for a minute or so. I thought possibly it might be related to the SSD that has my / partition since I haven't been able to find any program that is doing it. Top and IOTop don't show any unusual activity.

This led me into partitioning. I thought that GPT pretty much gave you proper partition alignment, but now I think I was mistaken on that point. gdisk shows my first partition starting at 34, with the fdisk info showing 255 heads, 63 sectors/track. That doesn't come close to 4k alignment.

There is a linux mag article (http://www.linux-mag.com/id/8397/) that talks a lot about this, and seems to like using cylinder alignment instead of just starting the partition on a sector that is 8*512.

Anyway, my gdisk data is:
  Disk /dev/sda: 234441648 sectors, 111.8 GiB
  Logical sector size: 512 bytes
  Disk identifier (GUID): ****************
  Partition table holds up to 128 entries
  First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 234441614
  Partitions will be aligned on 1-sector boundaries
  Total free space is 0 sectors (0 bytes)

  Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
1 34 232542884 110.9 GiB 8300 Linux filesystem 2 232542885 234441614 927.1 MiB EF02 BIOS boot partition

Before I haul out sysrescuecd and move my partitions around, I thought I'd ask for suggestions. Should I move the filesystem to something that is a multiple of 8, do something else, or look elsewhere for a solution to my problem?