Re: FSF condemns partnership between Mozilla and Adobe to support Digital Restrictions Management

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:

So freedom from doesn't include freedom from DRM?

Of course you are free from DRM.  Just don't buy/install content that is restricted by DRM.

Unfortunately the DMCA and its international clones prohibit me from accessing DRM except by methods provided by the content owner.

Yeah.  That is _their_ freedom in action.  They are perfectly free to be as stupid as they want.

I am not free to use my own implementation through reverse engineering, etc..

Think of the DRM as part of their packaging.  You aren't free to dictate to them (thus limiting their freedom) that they have to ship to you in green-qualified, 100% recycled, non-climate-harming bubble- wrap either.

Don't re-implement DRM, just find the loopholes in it and use them.  Or exercise your freedom to choose another content vendor and tell the DRM people about it in excruciating detail.  Whining about DRM is both unsavory and unsatisfying.

You aren't free to ignore the consequences of attempting to ignore the law of gravity.   Whose "fault" is that?

Lee Winter
Nashua, New Hampshire (Live Free or Die)
United States of America