Re: Vertualbox installation errors

On Sb, 17 mai 14, 12:34:12, Gary Roach wrote:
> On 05/17/2014 11:04 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> >>And how do I correct this?
> >Simple: install linux-image-686-pae, which will pull in the current
> >kernel for your release.
> >
> >Complicated: reinstall using Debian amd64.
> >
> >>Note: All of my source.list entries are prefaced with [arch=amd64,i386].
> >This is not really necessary unless you want to use different sources
> >per arch (which is not your case, you're using the same sources).
>
> I think we have a misunderstanding here. I am running a 64 bit system.

No you're not. You might have some Architecture: amd64 packages
installed (my guess is not many, if any), but this doesn't make your
system 64 bit. You can check with

    aptitude search '?installed?architecture(amd64)'

Just because you're using the kernel package with -amd64 in its *name*
(which is most probably also an Architecture: i386 package, even if it
does contains the 64 bit kernel) doesn't make your entire system 64 bit.

> While
> I can boot to the linux-image-686-pae kernel, this will set up a 32 bit OS
> which is not what I want. I'm running an Intel DP55KG board with an i5-750,
> 4 core 64 bit buss processor and would like to use the full capability of
> the board.

You'll have to reinstall using a Debian amd64 image. However, I'll doubt
you'll notice any difference.

In theory a cross-grade is also possible, but it's complicated and may
break in interesting ways. Of course, if you'll be re-installing anyway,
why not try it out?

> If the software is thinking that I am running a 32 bit system,

Software doesn't think, that's your job.

> then something desperately needs correcting. But what?

Your assumptions?

Kind regards,
Andrei