[totally OT] experience with Seagate Barracuda and NAS drives

Hi:

Just asking for your experience with above mentioned hard drives.
I had some 1TB and 2GB Barracuda drives failing with very erratic
behaviour. As a last resort before trashing them I removed the circuit
board. On the contacts for the heads and also on the "washer"-shaped
contacts for the srews I found a brownish-reddish film.
I removed it with a white soft eraser.
After assembling the drives they work OK ever since.
Now I bought two 2GB Seagate NAS drives and on one I found the same
film on the contacts - just not as bad as on the drives which failed.
I bought the 1TB drives locally in PY but the 2GB NAS drives came from
a European supplier.

Has somebody around here made similar experiences with those drives?
If you don't mind to waste your time responding to this message ;-)

Cheers
Eike