Re: no longer sound on amd64 sid systems

* Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> [2014-05-16 00:49 +1000]:

> On 16/05/14 00:15, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> > * Paul Pignon <paulspignon@gmail.com> [2014-05-15 12:09 +0100]:
> >
> > [...]> > ... lsmod | grep snd

> >> There is now card specific sound driver loaded. You have to find out
> >> which soundchip you are running and load the respective driver,
> >> though. But this should be done automagic by udev so there is
> >> something wrong with your kernel, half configured packages or
> >> something like that.
> >>
> >> *I reverted to the previous kernel, no joy, then re-installed the new one
> >> (KDE prompted me to do this when it discovered I was running an old
> >> kernel), so I cannot see how there could be anything wrong with the package
> >> or configuration, all handled automagically. Have browsed udev rules
> >> superficially but don't get much at this point.*
> >>
> > [...]
> >>
> >> Because there is no sound driver loaded.
> >> *OK, even though I unloaded and reloaded all the snd modules, obviously I
> >> have not understood something.*
> > [...]
> >> *It was a warning from KDE saying*
> >> *This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:*
> >> *Capture: HDA ATI  SB (STAC92xx Analog)*
> >> *Capture: HDA ATI  SB, STAC92xx Analog (Default Audio Device)*
> >> *Output: HD-Audio Generic (HDMI 0)*
> >>
> >> *Output: HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0 (HDMI Audio Output)*
> >> *Output: HDA ATI SB (STAC92xx Analog)*
> >> *Output: HDA ATI SB, STAC92xx Analog (Default Audio Device)*

> > That is useless with the modules listet above. The sound driver for
> > your STA92xx is missing!
> >
> > Just try as root:
> > # modprobe -v snd-hda-intel
>
> after editing /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and adding this line:
> options snd-hda-intel model=dell

No, please do

# echo "options snd-hda-intel model=dell" >> /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf

as alsa-base.conf will be purged in Jessie. You can choose a filename
as you want but with the extension .conf.

Elimar
--
 Never make anything simple and efficient when a way
  can be found to make it complex and wonderful ;-)