Re: Wrong sizes for single disk in different usb enclosures.

On 15/05/14 21:31, Jaime T wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm trying out my 1TB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 SATA hard disk in three
> different sata-usb enclosures. I'm testing the size of the drive by
> viewing both /sys/block/sdb/size and by using "hdparm -I", and I see
> different figures for the size. Here are the results:
>
> 1st enclosure (USB ID 14cd:6116):
> /sys/block/sdb/size: 1953525166
> hdparm -I /dev/sdb | grep LBA48: 1953525168
>
> 2nd enclosure (USB ID 152d:2509):
> /sys/block/sdb/size: 1953524995
> hdparm -I /dev/sdb | grep LBA48: 1953525168
>
> 3rd enclosure (USB ID 152d:2339):
> /sys/block/sdb/size: 1953525168
> hdparm -I /dev/sdb | grep LBA48: no data (error msg about bad sense data)
>
> Given that this is only one drive (which I _think_ has 1953525168
> sectors), are any of these results "bugs"? Also, are there any
> (negative) consequences of the kernel getting the drive size wrong?

That I don't know.
But more importantly - try the 3rd enclosure in a port on another USB
controller if it doesn't have an external power supply - that "bad sense
data" message often indicates insufficient power available to the device.

> (i.e. could this lead to loss of data?)

Again, one of the many things I don't know.

> Many thanks, Jaime

Kind regards