Re: no longer sound on amd64 sid systems

* Paul Pignon <paulspignon@gmail.com> [2014-05-14 16:08 +0100]:

[...]
> Hi,
>

> First, apologies if I'm not posting this request the way one should, I
> don't think I ever tried to ask a question on this forum before, so if I
> should have done it differently please advise me.
>

> I'm having exactly the same grief as Arne, since the latest update of
> wheezy on my HP Pavilion dm1. I'm a musician and use pd-extended live on
> stage, not to mention the fact that I cannot play or record anything
> anymore, so I'd be hugely grateful for any help.
>
> As a last resort I could roll back the latest updates from Debian but I
> don't at present know how so that would also be a lot of time-consuming
> work I imagine.
>

> Here's the output on my machine as requested of Arne:
>

> ... lsmod | grep snd
>
> snd_pcm 76785 0
>
> snd_hwdep 13189 0
>
> snd_page_alloc 13052 1 snd_pcm
>
> snd_seq 53391 0
>
> snd_seq_device 13132 1 snd_seq
>
> snd_timer 22767 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
>
> snd 61901 5 snd_timer,snd_seq_device,snd_seq,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm
>
> soundcore 13065 1 snd

There is now card specific sound driver loaded. You have to find out
which soundchip you are running and load the respective driver,
though. But this should be done automagic by udev so there is
something wrong with your kernel, half configured packages or
something like that.

> __________
>

> ... aplay -l
>
> aplay: device_list:252: no soundcards found...

Because there is no sound driver loaded.

> ... aplay -L
>
> default
>
> Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server

> ... dpkg -l |egrep alsa

Ok.

[...]

> ... dpkg -l |egrep asound

[...]
> ... cat /proc/version
> Linux version 3.2.0-4-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version
> 4.6.3 (Debian 4.6.3-14) ) #1 SMP Debian 3.2.57-3+deb7u1

Ok, looks not customized.

> alsamixer says there are no sound cards.

Because there is no sound driver loaded.

> KDE tells me this:
>

> [image: Inline images 1]

Not found. But not common to send to a mailing list anyway.

> I tried removing and reinstating all the snd modules, to no avail.

How did you managed that?

Elimar
--
 Never make anything simple and efficient when a way
  can be found to make it complex and wonderful ;-)