Re: Security updates for hold package

On Mi, 14 mai 14, 11:00:30, Frank wrote:
> Hi,
> can anybody explain to me what exactly happens if I place a package on
> hold? I have an application which unfortunately requires an older php
> version.
> If I now mark the package "hold" does this mean no major upgrade will be
> performed for this package or do I prevent security updates as well,
> with that action?

APT does not differentiate between "major" or "security" or "whatever"
upgrade, just about version numbers.

However, if you're on stable (or oldstable) there will be no major
upgrades (whether you want them or not) unless you point your sources to
the next release.

If you want more specific information please provide the output of

    apt-cache policy <package>

Kind regards,
Andrei