Re: [OT] How long is an unused HD 'new'?

On Mon, 12 May 2014 16:48:20 +0000 (UTC)
Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

> On 2014-05-12, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Maybe he's got one of the "greens" that gets old fast (once very 8
> >> seconds) if steps aren't taken.
> >
> > I have a WD green disk (3GB, IIRC) in my backup server. Could you
> > please elaborate on the steps, and in what ways it gets old quickly?
> >
> > This is actually pretty important because all my backup data is
> > stored there.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Format#Special_Consideration_for_WD_Green_HDDs

I might have gotten lucky. It appears I don't have a WD20EARS. Here's
the device model line from smartctl:

root@bupserv:/d/bats# smartctl -a /dev/sdb | grep Model
Device Model:     WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0
root@bupserv:/d/bats#

And no matter what I read, write or wait, the Load Cycle remains at 247:

root@bupserv:/d/bats# smartctl /dev/sdb -a | grep Load_Cycle
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age
Always       -       247
root@bupserv:/d/bats#

Thanks,

SteveT