kernel security upgrade bollixed need help

I was responding to a recently received security message about the
linux kernel in Wheezy. I thought I had things configured so that the
repaired kernel would come from the security repository automagically,
but ...

It did appear to be downloading a new kernel and installing it, but
when it finished nothing appeared to have been changed. I can't retry
because my system appears to have set flags that the upgrade has been
done. but there are no new files in /boot or updated symlinks in /.

This should not be, IMHO. Please ask the questions that need to be asked.
Note: I am attempting to respond to a security alert, not merely getting
the latest kernel via wheezy-backports. Or has the system changed to
a newer way in which wheezy-backports should be used. If so I will definitely
need a link to explicit steps.

-- Paul E Condon pecondon@mesanetworks.net