Re: Should hostname always be lower case?

 Hi.

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 03:03:01PM +0100, Ron Leach wrote:
> List,
>
> May I ask whether the 'case' of the hostname is important, in the
> sense that use of any upper-case characters may disrupt name
> resolvers?
>
> We have a server running wheezy, and we named it D7Server (not
> d7server).  Could this matter to any resolver attempting to look up
> D7Server?  (It might matter, for example, if standards allow
> resolvers, generally, to assume that names to be resolved will be
> lower case.)

RFC 952 specifies that:

A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up
   to 24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus
   sign (-), and period (.).  Note that periods are only allowed when
   they serve to delimit components of "domain style names". (See
   RFC-921, "Domain Name System Implementation Schedule", for
   background).  No blank or space characters are permitted as part of a
   name. ** No distinction is made between upper and lower case. **

Therefore any conventional DNS should thread D7Server and d7server
the same.

Reco