Re: How to use Debian ISOs as package sources in apt?

On Sat 10 May 2014 at 12:28:03 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> On 10/05/14 07:36, A Debian User wrote:
> >
> > Also, how do you make sure that apt checks that the packages on the DVDs
> > are current, and retrieves the packages from the online mirrors,
> > instead, if the aren't.
>
> I don't. Apt/dpkg magic does that for me. Nothing special there. If you
> installed from DVD/CDs to begin with they'll be in sources.list (added
> by apt-cdrom). In which case when you normally upgrade/dist-upgrade or

If an online mirror was set up during the install the CD entries get
commented out by d-i.

> just install a package - apt/dpkg will use the most recent version of
> the package, based on your preferences. If the most recent package
> version is the same as the one on your original installation DVD you'll
> be asked to insert that disk - saving you downloads and time.

The uncommented CD entries need to be first in sources.list for this to
happen.

> > I want to be able to safely use both the online mirrors and the DVDs in
> > the same sources.list file without having to worry that I may be
> > installing outdated software (I have a slow Internet connection, so
> > getting the big packages from the DVDs might help).

As descibed by Scott Ferguson you will always get the most recent
version for stable and stable security updates with online mirror and CD
lines in sources.list; wheezy-backports and wheezy-updates need special
treatment when used as a source for downloading.