Re: Is it safe not to install intel-microcode (or amd-microcode)?

On Sat, 10 May 2014, A Debian User wrote:
> Thanks for the response, but my question comes more from a security
> perspective: Does ignoring CPU microcode updates make your computer
> more or less vulnerable in general?

More vulnerable if it is anything with the Core microarchitecture and your
BIOS does not have a very recent microcode.  That means anything x86
produced by Intel in the last five years that is not an Atom processor, BTW.

More vulnerable to random crashes and memory corruption in the general case.
But it is *very* difficult to quantify that "more vulnerable".

  Henrique Holschuh