Re: Default & supported service manager in Wheezy

On 09/05/14 18:43, Kushal Kumaran wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 09/05/14 16:19, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> A long time ago, when I was young ;-), services used to be managed with
>>> "invoke-rc.d" & "update-rc.d" on Debian.
>>>
>>> Know playing with several distributions, some use "service", "sysctl",
>>> "systemctl", and some of them are mentionned for managing services in
>>> Debian.
>>>
>>> Typically, on a Debian when I "a2ensite", there is a message indicating
>>> to "service apache2 reload" in order to fullfill the new VirtualHost
>>> consideration.
>>>
>>> I would like to stick with the "native" tools for each distribution I
>>> manage: On Wheezy what is the right one? What is wrapping what?
>>
>> Good question to which I'd like to know a definitive answer.
>>
>> Where the service exists in `ls /etc/init.d` I control
>> (start/stop/restart/status whatever the service allows) it from there.
>>

> Using the service command is better than running scripts from
> /etc/init.d

Yes.
Which. Is. What. I. Do. Hence my repeated use of the word "service" in
the context of discussing the "service" command - which runs the scripts
in /etc/init.d *when* supplied with the name of one of the scripts in
/etc/init.d

To see *which* services the service command can use on a given system
`ls /etc/init.d`.

So if I want to restart samba I'll use `service samba restart`.
Not so for port-forwarding though (sysctl).

<snipped lecture to the choir>

Kind regards