Re: Chromium not installable on Testing

On 2014-05-04 16:17 +0200, Carl Fink wrote:

> So a few weeks ago Chromium came uninstalled and couldn't be reinstalled.
>
> When I tried to install it I got this:
>

> root@rocket:/data/vids# apt-get install chromium
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  chromium : Depends: libudev0 (>= 146) but it is not installable

Yes, the security upload of chromium that became part of Debian 7.5 had
a newer version than was available in testing, so to fulfill the rule
"packages must not have a higher in stable than in testing" the package
from the point release was copied to testing (and unstable on i386).
Unfortunately, it is not installable. :-/

If you are using amd64, you can install the package from unstable.  On
i386, install the package from stable-security and libudev0 from stable.

> A bit of investigation found that libudev0 is also not available in
> unstable. I figured this would be fixed quickly and was part of the natural
> growing pains of the Testing distro ... but it has been a while and hasn't
> changed.

Because chromium still has not been built on i386 in unstable, the
latest version failed because the linker ran out of address space.

> Before I file a bug, I thought I'd ask if my problem was universal, or
> specific to something about my system.

No need to report a bug, the problem is known.  In the long run, I
suspect it will be restricted to build on amd64 only since it requires
too much memory to be linked on 32 bit architectures.

> Also, why does Chromium need udev? To detect webcams and microphones?

Good question, even Gentoo does not allow building chromium without udev
so I guess it's mandatory, but I don't know why.

Cheers,
       Sven