Question about wheezy-backports

I have added to my sources.list the following line:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main

But according to http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/, that won't
make the backport appear in interactive aptitude, or be automatically
'upgraded' to the backported version.  To actually install the
backport, I also have to add the phrase -t wheezy-backports to the
install command. And I have to know that there is a backport for the
particular deb in which I have an interest. I suppose I could try
reading the debian-backports-announce mailinglist, but I am so seldom
bothered with having the latest version that I can't believe I will do
that. Is there also a simple list of backported debs that I can browse
on the web to know what is available, or a wiki pointer? I'd rather
not subscribe to another list and monitor it regularly just for the
very rare occation when I actually need a backport.

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net