Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments

On Saturday 03 May 2014 10:40:28 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 02 mai 14, 22:13:02, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Friday 02 May 2014 21:29:43 Brian wrote:
> > > Choosing a DE *after* booting d-i is not possible and, as far as I can
> > > remember, there has never been such an option.
> >
> > You and I clearly mean different things by "booting".  I have done it
> > frequently over the years in several different versions.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/boot
<quote>
Verb

boot (third-person singular simple present boots, present participle booting,
simple past and past participle booted)

    (computing) To bootstrap; to start a system, eg. a computer, by invoking
its boot process or bootstrap.

        When arriving at the office, first thing I do is booting my machine.
</quote>

I feel happy to continue using boot in te meaning in which wiktionary uses it.

> The menu that you see immediately after the BIOS finishes is presented
> by syslinux, which is the bootloader used by the Debian images. At this
> point the installer is technically not running.
>
> Depending on the menu entry used the installer is then loaded (booted)

Loaded and booted are not synonyms.

Lisi