Re: OT: Upgrade debacle........

On Fri, 2014-05-02 at 15:43 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 4:27 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2014-05-01 at 21:25 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>         > A nice joke, I found this
>         >
>         > "sudo /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache" -
>         > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1251717#p1251717
>         >
>         > Does anybody else add the path to a command located
>         in /usr/bin/ or any
>         > other command that _usually_ is mentioned by $PATH?
>
>                ^^^^^^^ Typo supported by Faxe beer, it should be
>         "path" and not
>         "command".
>
> Sometimes, yeah, I type the complete path if my memory is telling me
> there may be an identically named binary in an earlier path in the
> $PATH .
>

> Somedays, when I am feeling particularly paranoid, I type the full
> path name on all commands. (Not very often, however.) Or if the
> globbing gap between sudo and the command line is causing me command
> lookup pain, but I would assume that most people never feel that pain.

Ok, if I don't remember the complete command name and I like to use the
tab key to show me a list of available commands (r typing the complete
command name is to much work, then I first type the first characters
without sudo, push the tab key and after that I add sudo.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ch
chacl         chattr        checkdotdin   checkupdates  chfn
chmod         chpassword    chrt
chage         chcon         checkgid      checkXML      chgpasswd
chmorph       chromedriver  chsh
charmap       chcp          check_hd      cheese        chgrp
chown         chromium      chuser
chat          chcpu         check-regexp  chem          chktex
chpasswd      chroot        chvt
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ sudo ch

Alternatively I run su or sudo -i and than continue using commands
without sudo.

If I add a launcher or a /usr/share/xsessions/*.desktop file, I
sometimes use the complete path too, just in case.