Re: Weird random reboot -- thinkpad x220

Hi Guys,

On Apr 30, 2014 at 12:27, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> On 4/30/14, Paul Seyfert <pseyfert@mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:

> >> See below.

> >> I run sid, and have reproduced this when x220 is connected to power/
> >> "battery slice" which is like a docking station, but it's just a
> >> battery.
> >>
> >> When connecting power to the slice (recommended, apparently when slice
> >> is connected, should not connect power to laptop (which has its own
> >> power connector of course) but to slice power connector.
> >>
> >> This causes instant reboot for me.
> >
> > hm, i use various combinations.
> > * 9 cell
> > * 9 cell + PSU
> > * 9 cell + docking station + PSU connected to notebook
> > * 9 cell + docking station + PSU connected to docking station
> > * 9 cell + slice
> > * 9 cell + slice + PSU connected to slice
> > * 9 cell + slice + PSU connected to notebook (yes, rarely i end up in
> > the not-recommended setting)
> >
> > it didn't occur to me that the random reboot is due to a particular
> > setting, none of the settings reliably triggers the reboot.
> >
> >> I have not had time to check out LENOVO bios updates yet.
> >>

> > this is different for me. i had quite some problems with the very early
> > bios versions of the x220 when I got it. After three updates I ended up
> > with
> >
> > UEFI: 1.17 / ECP: 1.08
>
> Thanks for the reference. I shall look into this at some point.

Just bought a used x220, pretty happy to have it.  Haven't looked into BIOS
updates yet too.  Thanks for the hint.

> >> This is a known problem. I haven't finished reading giyf search
> >> results to determine how to fix, would like to know myself of course.
> >>
> >> So x220 laptops have known power problems. Also with regular internal
> >> battery: battery can reach a state where the ACPI (or whatever it is)
> >> can no longer reliably tell you what charge state the battery is. I
> >> have reverted to disabling automatic shutdown and power-low
> >> notifications, since the battery status can change back and forth to
> >> eg 2hrs to go, empty, 1hr55 to go, empty etc. and each "empty" causes
> >> annoying pop ups.
> >

> > I think this is a different problem. For the random reboot, let me
> > repeat that i didn't see a shutdown when i was present at the random
> > shutdown event. the notebook was suddenly off. like removing the battery
> > and unplugging the PSU. so the random reboot doesn't seem acpi related
> > to me.
>
> If you had a power brownout whilst you were away, then your random
> reboot _may_ have been similar to mine - that was my suggestion. I do
> not know of course.
>
> Mine reboot can be triggered by:
> a) 9-cell+slice, PSU disconnected, laptop started (even at console)
> b) connect PSU to slice, witness instant reboot
>
> Either way, it appears there are various battery issues, of one form
> or another, with x220 laptop.
>
> Good luck
> Zenaan

Firstly thanks for pointing on possible ideas why reboot could happen.
Initially I've thought more to software issue side, but not the hardware.
Honestly this upsetting a bit, so nice laptop nowadays, not much could be
comparable to it, in design and comfort also.

I see you guys seen reboots more often then me obviously using it more.  Will
monitor the situation.

Ivan.