Re: Weird random reboot -- thinkpad x220

Please bottom-post, not top-post.

See below for my comments.

On 4/30/14, Paul Seyfert <pseyfert@mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> you're not paranoid, I've seen sudden reboots running wheezy (when it
> was testing and i think even since it's stable) on my x220 as well.
> though very rarely. i don't recall having seen it since September. but i
> remember it even happened once when i was sitting in front of it.
>
> I'm sorry i have to date not the slightest idea how to reproduce the
> behaviour.

See below.

> the time i happened to see it, it looked like the power went out (with
> PSU connected and battery fully charged). after about a second in which
> i wondered what was going on, the computer booted as if it was switched
> off and somebody pressed the power button.

I run sid, and have reproduced this when x220 is connected to power/
"battery slice" which is like a docking station, but it's just a
battery.

When connecting power to the slice (recommended, apparently when slice
is connected, should not connect power to laptop (which has its own
power connector of course) but to slice power connector.

This causes instant reboot for me.

I have not had time to check out LENOVO bios updates yet.

This is a known problem. I haven't finished reading giyf search
results to determine how to fix, would like to know myself of course.

So x220 laptops have known power problems. Also with regular internal
battery: battery can reach a state where the ACPI (or whatever it is)
can no longer reliably tell you what charge state the battery is. I
have reverted to disabling automatic shutdown and power-low
notifications, since the battery status can change back and forth to
eg 2hrs to go, empty, 1hr55 to go, empty etc. and each "empty" causes
annoying pop ups.

There was a recommended option to properly power cycle the battery by
disconnecting from power, and run the laptop till auto shutoff, then
fully charge, but this doesn't reset the battery internal status (or
whatever it is) properly, in my experience.

I have two different internal batteries I have tried, 6-cell and
9cell, and the slice battery. All seem to display this latter problem
eventually.

So, at least two known battery/ power problems with the x220s. Very
annoying. I just put up with it, and don't rely on the slice battery
any more. Looks great. Great in theory. Sort of gives you more uptime,
but "reboot on power-connect" is unacceptable, and makes the
internal/slice combo kinda useless anyway - just use the 9cell
internal battery!

DAMN how we need an open source libre BIOS! I can _smell_ the nature
of the problem, but we have no access to code to create solutions...

Good luck
Zenaan