Directly connecting two computers

Hello,

I have two computer that I want to connect directly, similarly as I did
long time ago with Null-Modem cable ( or LapLink cable).

I have obtained a crossover ethernet cable that I plug in network card
of each computer. Now the problem is how to configure eth0 on both
computer so they can communicate.

In /etc/hosts on both computers I have
192.168.231.2   neolit
192.168.231.3   paleolit

On one computer I have this entry in /etc/network/interfaces
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.231.3
    pointopoint 192.168.231.2
    netmask 255.255.255.255

When I run command route on this computer I get
# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
neolit          *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 eth0

I can ping paleolit on this computer.
But ping neolit does not work as expected.

On other computer I have this
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.231.2
    pointopoint 192.168.231.3
    netmask 255.255.255.255

Same command on this computer gives me
# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
paleolit          *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 eth0

On this computer I can successfully run ping neolit
but not ping paleolit.

Anyway on each computer I can use eth0 interface for any local service
(smtp, http ...) but I can not connect to other side of the cable.

Can somebody tell what I need to change in /etc/network/interfaces entry
for eth0 or is there some other setting that need to be done?

Thanks
Martin