dist-upgrade installs new package, lists it as autoremove candidate

I'm presently seeing a rather odd behavior, in two parts.

My system currently has no installed packages which are considered
candidates for autoremoval:

========
root@apologia:/home/wanderer# apt-get autoremove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 104 not upgraded.
========

When I attempt to dist-upgrade, it lists packages for autoremoval. This
is presumably because they will become unneeded after the upgrade of
other packages.

However, one of the packages listed for autoremoval is also in the list
of new packages which will be installed by the dist-upgrade process:

========
root@apologia:/home/wanderer# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
required:
  librtmp0:i386 libzita-alsa-pcmi0 libzita-resampler1 uuid-dev
  gir1.2-atspi-2.0 libatspi2.0-dev librtmp1 librtmp1:i386
libsdl-gfx1.2-5 libzita-alsa-pcmi0 libzita-resampler1 nettle-dev
startpar uuid-dev
========

uuid-dev is in both lists. (And is not presently installed.)

This is obviously a bug somewhere (albeit probably not a severe one in
practice), but I'm not even sure what package the bug would be in.

Any hints, or ideas what might be going on here?

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.